Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Yellow Edit: The cards


The yellow edit for this book is an interesting one. I found that I'd edited and re-edited so much that everything was all mushed together. Yes, mushed is a technical word. LOL So, in an attempt to step away a bit but not stop editing altogether, I printed off each chapter individually. I then used large notecards for each chapter. For each chapter, on the top half of the card, I wrote the main ideas contained in the chapter. The bottom half was used to write the main ideas in my father's letters.

In addition to this, I used a screenwriting technique, breaking my story into three acts. I'll talk more about that later. Each act was given a specific colored card. I also used something I learned in my screenwriting class, and that is to be sure that every act, or in this case, chapter has a whole mini-story to tell. It has a beginning, middle and end. And I noted if the chapter had a teaser at the end (more on this later too), which would make the reader want to read on.

I am nearly finished with this edit and I think it was successful. I read each chapter out of order. That way, I was able to concentrate just on the chapter and nothing else. It did raise a few questions about continuity and I noted those and will feed those in when I type them into my word processor. But each edit is a little, or sometimes a lot easier than the last.

4 comments:

anonymous said...

Great tips.... Heaps of individuals feel so stressed over their meeting since this stage is exceptionally extreme but you can useful link to manage your educational task. The vast majority need to see your certainty level at this stage and just sure individuals can pass their meeting.

JesseHanson said...

The post is helpful for instrumental lovers. Keep on increasing see more details our knowledge by sharing posts like these.

dgk said...

There are the yellow cards in this blogspot where you can find the new book session and can cover the new area of the attention. You can also use the yellow edit page with http://www.bestcapstoneprojects.com/choose-from-the-best-business-capstone-project-ideas/ and can find more good chapters here.

Sarahj said...

You need not make that much large charts for that but stick to the plan and write unique contents so you can explore more out of the given tasks and this can be a healthy task for you as well.