Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Dreaded Question


I'm dreading the day when someone says, "Have you wanted to be a writer all your life?" The truthful answer is, "No." And in fact, it's even sadder than that. It never even occured to me that there was such a thing as a writer. How in the world is that possible? Maybe it's because I knew what I wanted to be from the time I was six-years old. True story.

In first grade, I knew I wanted to be a teacher. So, maybe that closed my little mind to the possibility of anything else. I don't know. I liked reading as a little girl. I have many memories of reading. I remember being frustrated if my mom filled in an unknown word for me right before I was about to get it myself. I remember loving to do reading worksheets. OK...that one had something to do with the candy my teacher taped on each paper. But still.

Becoming a writer was never on my radar. Until years later.

2 comments:

Linda Austin said...

Same here, Karen. Except I wanted to be a biologist! But when you find a story to tell...

Karen Fisher-Alaniz said...

LOL, Linda. I don't think we ever had any visiting authors or anything like that. Maybe that's why? I think schools do such a great job of getting writers into the schools now.