Thursday, January 31, 2008

Letting Go - Aiming High

It's time. I've been freelance writing for 9 months. In that time, my pay has ranged from $10 to $200 per project. The other day, I found myself writing for one of my low-paying gigs. I was working my tail off despite the fact that they promised to publish one of my articles in January and then decided against it. So I had sat on this article for four months, only to be told they wouldn't be publishing it afterall and it was too late to send it elsewhere. But to their credit, they had paid me for other articles. So there I was working hard.

But then something, I don't know what, clicked. I realized that I don't have to do this anymore. I do have editors who love my writing and pay more. Why am I scrounging for pennies when I don't have to? I believe it's a poverty mentality. I don't know where it comes from, but it sends me begging for jobs and working for less than I deserve. Why? I have no idea. So today I am making a conscious decision.

I will only work for publications which honor my work. I will only work for those who believe in me and publications that I believe in. Now understand, there are other publications that do pay little, but which offer a different, non-monetary payoff, and for those I'll continue. What I'm saying is why should I shoot so low.

It reminds me of parenting and how many parents believe that if their child isn't pregnant, taking drugs, or drinking, they've done a great job. Wrong! That is the very lowest of the standard. And that's true of embarking on a career as a writer. It's time to move on, time to move up! ~Karen

6 comments:

Eileen said...

Hey Karen, What a neat idea your side bar of *Coming Soon to this blog!* (May I steal it?) ;) E

Karen Fisher-Alaniz said...

Sure. Steal away. Basically, I put it there because I often have lots of ideas but no practical place to put them. It also helped me to create a bit of a road map. ~Karen

Anonymous said...

This is educational for each field individual. One individual effectively under stands these sentences. Such sort important source sites appear on media, and online networking.A decent blog with respect to the data identify with various manufacturers.

Anonymous said...

This present post is about the standard Missouri University. which is revealing to us its significance in the region.So as to think about such news its mandatory that we have learning these type of http://www.rewording.biz/why-us/ website are effectively met from this blog.

Anonymous said...

TZN is some sort of a news channel was you see the all kind of news the features and the best positioning news. That are refresh you from this http://www.sentencegenerator.net/our-simple-sentence-generator/ website conditions of the world there are numerous news class to chip away at this to make the exceptional news release for the general population.

Hildegard Flatley said...

Social guidance is touch unmistakable anyway pleasing for the understudies as they don't think basically all social orders of https://www.rephraser.org/best-sentence-rephrasing-generator-on-the-internet/ their country. Social guidance teaches the understudies concerning living methodology for other city's family which is a pleasant and advantageous thing.