Thursday, January 17, 2008

300 Word Interview

Taking the theme of writing your story in 300 word increments, something occured to me. What if you wrote someone elses story the same way? For example, what if I sat down with my mom or my aunt and asked them to tell about a specific memory, such as kindergarten? My experience has been that most people enjoy talking about their memories. But when you bring out a tape recorder, or a laptop, or a note pad, they freeze up. But I wonder if that might change if I let them know that I don't want to write any more than 300 words. That amount seems so managable, doesn't it?

I think I'll give it a try. My mother is the perfect candidate. Because I have written a book about my dad, I've spent a lot of time with him learning about his past and his memories. But my mom is another story (haha). Though I've heard her tell stories of her childhood, I've never written them down. I need to do that. And when I do, you'll be the first to know.

Is there anyone you could try this with? It doesn't have to be someone older than you. In fact, it could be one of your children, or a young person you know. Who would you ask?

No comments: