Saturday, January 19, 2008

300 Words - My Mom's Turn

As promised, I interviewed my mother*. I didn't ask her permission or warn her. Maybe that's not fair, but I didn't want her to worry about it. I simply showed up at her house with my laptop, and said, "OK, it's your turn. Mom, I want to interview you." She was less than enthusiastic. But once she got to talking, memories-things she hadn't thought of in years, came to the surface and I typed as fast as I could. Thank God for my high school typing class. I can type without looking at the keys, and pretty fast too. From this experience, I would highly recommend doing this. And here are a few tips on how to do it.
  • Limit the time you'll spend interviewing. I spent only about twenty minutes and made that clear when we started.
  • Start with a question. It's overwhelming when you're trying to think of your entire life story in one sitting. Begin by asking about times that are framed by an event such as a grade level or a holiday. I asked my mother to tell me about kindergarten. I didn't know they didn't have kindergarten then, so we started with first grade instead.
  • Only ask questions pertinent to the clarity of the story. You may have a lot of questions while your loved one is talking but ask only the questiong that will help to clarify the specific story they are telling. Resist the temptation to go on "rabbit trails" that are actually a separate story.
  • End on a Positive Note. If the particular subject is not a happy memory, encourage your interviewee to then share a good memory. First grade was not a happy memory for my mother, so when we finished first grade, I had her also tell me about second grade, which was much happier (and made up for a nasty first grade teacher).
  • Have a Plan B. Not all memories are pleasant and some may be traumatic. Be prepared to change to a different question if your interviewee is uncomfortable sharing. Have a "Plan B" question that is very different from the first question. For example, if you first asked about kindergarten memories, your "Plan B" question might be, "What is the best Christmas present you received as a child?"
  • Plan for the Next Interview. Let the interviewee know what you'd like to talk about the next time you get together. And when you get home, reread what you've written; make sure that it all makes sense. Then jot down any additional questions you have.

*Remember, you can interview absolutely anyone.

5 comments:

Velva Block said...

No doubt, the inclusion of guardians in the kid's training is a positive signal for the kid and his future. Along these http://www.bestparaphrasingtool.com/why-us/ guardians will know from every one of the exercises of the tyke and they won't be stress over the eventual fate of the youngster.

Velva Block said...

The utilization of innovation in the field of instruction is valuable for the understudies. They can get hop over to this website of assistance through the innovation and with the assistance of innovation the can make the examination less demanding for them.

Hildegard Flatley said...

We ought to compliment the men of past who locked in for women's preparation and completed the example of not offering guidance to females. They are up 'til now the legend for us who made it http://www.reworder.net/professional-online-rewording-tool/ serviceable for the women to persuade propelled instruction to serve the all inclusive community.

Darlene Glidewell said...

Actually, it is a troublesome development for regular understudies to pick subjects for entire school life calling. Their tutors can supervise them genuinely to pick subjects in the wake of settling on a decision https://www.paraphrasingservice.org/paraphrase-tool-online about the character and interests of the understudies.

Velva Block said...

Certainly, passing on the structure association to others through web has changed into a staggering work to get cash in essential way. I adore www.scriptwriting.biz/comedy-scriptwriter/ development since it is in addition the procedure for sharing learning and data of different concentrations with one another.