Wednesday, October 10, 2007

New Experiences

Something that I love about freelance writing is the opportunity to learn new things. Whether I am researching the body's ability to absorb anything through the skin within 20 minutes (Amazing huh?) or I'm interviewing local business owners, it's all a new learning experience. But truth be told, I'd prefer to sit in my comfortable box, in a comfortable room, in a comfortable house with comfortable people than put myself out there. I don't know what I'm afraid of. Maybe it's not fear at all. Maybe it's human nature to strive for the common, the known...the comfortable and predictable. This month I made a goal of creating opportunities for four new experiences.

And as I've thought about what those experiences might be, I've realized just how ordered my life has become. I'm not a hermit or anything, and yet when I go for a walk, I tend to only go one route. Why? When I shop, I only shop at certain places. Why? When I go out to eat, I frequent two or three places. Why? I don't really know why. I just do it and I bet I'm not alone. So beyond the four experiences I'm creating this month, I am also becoming very conscious of what I regularly do...and changing it.

If it is true that we are only three people away from someone who can change our lives, how will I ever meet them if I keep cycling through the same experiences over and over. One of my experiences this month was a visit to an organic farm which has only been in operation since March of this year. I went to possibly write an article about it but it became so much more than that.

It became a glimpse at a life I know nothing about. Though I am surrounded by farmland, I know nothing about farms. And this farm is striving to be completely sustainable. I touched a horse and met a small pig, the runt of the litter. I was introduced to a chicken named, "Ike." I walked around on the land and felt a part of what its owners must feel. "It just feels good to be doing this." the owner said.


And I agreed. It does.



photo: welcome table farm

Karen

5 comments:

Eileen said...

Hey Karen,
Up at 4:30 a.m. here to *powder my nose* --you're probably fixing dinner right now. I'm guessing a new and exotic dish - squid or octapus, perhaps, maybe even frog legs.This would go along with your goal of new and stimulating experiences... Silly me - who checks their email middle of the night? (I do!) And who checks WRITE NOW middle of the night? (I do!) EE

Karen L. Alaniz said...

Oh gosh- squid? octapus? I'm not that adventurous. Let's see, about the time you wrote this, I was at a football game and then to dinner...and no, not frog legs...sub sandwiches! Yum. So what is the time difference between Russia and U.S. Pacific Time?

Karen

Eileen said...

Hey Karen - Good morning! It's 7:10 a.m. here *Moscow Time Zone* and...8:10 p.m. at your place, *Pacific Time Zone* - so I guess that's 11 hours difference. Stopped by your MY SPACE site - neat! Can you believe, yours was the first I've ever visited one of those places...I'm wondering, what does MySpace do that a blog doesn't? (See obviously I'm Behind on the learning curve on this...!) EE

(http://russiawithlove.blogspot.com)

Eileen said...

Hey Karen, I keep reading about the writing deal (you know, the wrywrodyeno or whatever)that I heard about first from you. Anyway, just ran across a neat blog about it and thought that you might enjoy it. Hmmm, 1,700 words a day, huh? Could be do-able... maybe I need to think about this too! http://ginaconroy.com/groupblog/wordpress/?page_id=568

Karen L. Alaniz said...

Did you sign up Eileen?

Karen