Saturday, October 6, 2007

Armpit-to-Armpit

Do I write about stupid things? Yeah...don't answer that. It's one of those questions. Well, here's what I'm thinking today, and this is a terribly important philosophical question. And I really need help with it.

What does armpit-to-armpit mean? No really. That is my honest to god...need an answer right now...question. I signed up for Nanowrimo, right? Yeah. So the last time I did nanowrimo, I wanted to order the t-shirt but half-way through the month they sold out. Bummer. I wanted that shirt. So this year, I was not going to be taken by surprise. I ordered early.

Now first of all, you have to know something about me. I don't order clothing by mail. I'm terrible at sending things back if they don't fit so I just don't order stuff. (Books are another story...love Powells!) But this nanowrimo 2007 t-shirt isn't available at K-Mart, so I had no choice.

The measurements said "armpit to armpit." So I measured, armpit-to-armpit. I put the measuring tape at the front edge of my armpit (stop here if this is too graphic) and stretched it to the other front edge of armpit. Then I looked on the little chart and found my size. I fit perfectly to one of them. It was a one size larger than my usual size, but then they mentioned shrinkage so I figured it was right.

Well, apparently I was wrong. I need to go back to math class or seamstress class or something. The t-shirt was more than just a tad big. It was huge, and now remember that I am terrible at sending things back. Plus, if I send it back there is the possiblity they'll be out of the size that will fit me. So back to the armpit question.

Was I supposed to measure from the middle of my armpits? From the back of my armpits? The only thing that would make sense is if I were to start at one armpit, pass the second one, go around my back and back to where I started. Then the measurements would fit. There just has to be a better way to do this. There are just too many variables.

So here I am...stuck with a really cool, and motivational t-shirt that is very, very large. Hey...just like my dreams. What's the difference between a very large nanowrimo t-shirt and your dreams? One you hope to grow into and one you pray you won't.

Karen

13 comments:

EelKat said...

Hey! glad to see other NaNoers!

I'm creating a blogroll for NaNoBloggers (NaNoers who talk about NaNo on their blogs).

I've choosen your blog to be included in this. You can find the blogroll at: http://eknano.blogspot.com

Good Luck with NaNoWriMo!

~~EK

Karen Fisher-Alaniz said...

Hey-Thanks Wendy. That's cool. I was actually thinking that during the month of October, I would dedicate at least a few posts a week to Nano. And during November, maybe everyday since I'll have nano-on-the-brain!

Thanks again,

Karen

Eileen said...

Karen, I'm with you - Armpit to armpit is such an odd...dimension. Seems to me that the purpose of writing is to communicate. And the writer of those instructions didn't manage to communicate.

Most apparel companies include an illustration on how to take body measurements and that's for taking standard measurements - bust, waist, hip. So, for something so -- odd -- an illustration would have been useful. From what you've said here, seems to me that at least one member of the NaNoWriMo staff needed some practice on technical writing. ;)

Enjoyed your post, as per usual! EE

Karen Fisher-Alaniz said...

I agree Eileen. Maybe they'll hire me next time...hehehe! I could use the job.

Karen

Anonymous said...

There's always t-shirt modification. :) I've tried a couple of different tricks, and let me share a key secret: even if it doesn't quite go how you plan you can alway cut out the cool motivational message and sew it on to a new t-shirt.

Karen Fisher-Alaniz said...

Thursday- That is the saddest thing I've ever heard. Do you know what my sewing skills are? Yeah. So I hope you're joking. Actually the t-shirt did shrink quite a bit so it will only fit 1 1/2 of me now instead of three of me. I can live with that.

Karen

SzélsőFa said...

You can use it as a nightgown, can't you?
Good luck with the NaNoWriMo.
See...Even I have heard of it :-P

Karen Fisher-Alaniz said...

That's true. It is actually very long so would make a good nightgown. But I got it for inspiration and I don't think I'll need much inspiration to sleep. After November it will probably be relegated to the nightgown drawer. But for now, it just makes me feel really skinny...ha ha!

Karen

Anonymous said...

There are numerous organizations that are give you correspondence instruction the base of the training and their essential purpose of perspectives is recorded in http://www.paraphraseexample.org/beneficial-apa-paraphrasing-example/ article subtleties. A few people don't have the foggiest idea how to speak with different people and make them your companions and other connection with one another's make a correspondence with them.

Anonymous said...

Presently in the propelled world the new age gives the better approach for the photograph grapy training where you can peruse or get familiar with the whole navigate here instruction techniques for photograph grapy. The master shows you through the classes and issues them the declaration when they got their photograph grapy instruction complete.

Unknown said...

It is essential for individuals to demonstrate mankind in each part of life. I saw a large number of the general population in https://www.rewording.org/a-sentence-changer-to-paraphrase-your-paper/ site or genuine and down to earth life who are excessively unfeeling and have no name of humankind or mankind in them. Because of this a considerable lot of difficult issues may emerge and individuals possess to confront intense energy for reasons unknown.

anonymous said...

Wonderful post,In this one picture appears about the loft kitchen which is looking flawless and clean and get info to click on www.plagerismchecker.net/how-copyright-checker-can-fix-all-your-proofreading-problems if you wanna to get quality work. The structure of the kitchen and the splendor of the shading make such condition that each individuals can cook effectively. What's more, it is the ideal structure I have ever observed.

anonymous said...

Amazing blog post,All things considered, above all else, I need to state praise for winning the race of the Supreme Court and get info to click on www.punctuationcheck.org/correct-punctuation-checker-must-haves-of-any-punctuation-tool if you wanna to get quality work. Robert is the men who buckled down for win the race of the Supreme Court. He serves as long as we can remember to offer equity to the general population and this great work encourages him for winning this decision.