Monday, August 1, 2011

Mini-memoir Monday: Critters

Do you have critters in your yard or neighborhood? Or did you when you were young? I'm not talking about cats and dogs. I'm talking about squirrels, raccoons, badgers, chipmunks, or even deer. What kinds of critters did you have? Did you exist in harmony or was it more like the movie, Groundhog's Day, where you were perpetually trying to get rid of them?

We have squirrels that we co-exist with. My husband calls them rats with tails. But I think they are cute. I like to watch them, but I just want them to visit, not move in. When we started having problems with them tearing shingles off the roof and eating all of the plums off our trees, I looked for a way to discourage them. I learned that the best way to discourage them is to have a dog with a loud bark, which I have. So, whenever I think Mr. and Mrs. Squirrel and their associated friends and family, might be getting a little too comfortable, I let my dog chase them up into the trees for a few days. So far, it's worked. But it doesn't stop them from visiting.

So, for today's mini-memoir entry, write about the critters in your yard. Past or present, these memories may lead to others. Whatever it sparks for you, write it down. And as ever, Write Now - because it's later than you think.

No comments: