Friday, March 4, 2011

Photo Friday: Sickness in the Black Hole

photo: writing in healthier days.

I called my editor a few weeks ago. I just wanted to do something, anything. Although I was keeping myself busy writing a new book and doing lots of marketing and publicity research, I was anxious to work on the book itself. My wonderful editor recognized something familiar. Apparently, I'm not the only or first-ever author to feel like I'd been sucked into a dark, silent, black hole. He encouraged me by saying that unfortunately, this is the time that there just isn't much for an author to do. But he assured me that soon, I would have edits to work on.

Last Tuesday, I got the first set of edits he wanted me to do. It was the day before I was leaving on a trip to Seattle. But no worries, I could work in Seattle just as easily as Walla Walla. But then it happened!

On the flight to Seattle, my ear plugged and wouldn't "pop." At the same time, I was suddenly very, very tired. In fact, as I sat in the back seat of my sister's car en route to her house, I lay my head on the suitcase and tried very hard to stay awake. I was sick!

Within a few hours, my nose was ridiculously stuffed up, my throat was raw and sore, and I had a terrible headache. And I felt like I'd been hit by a truck...several times. Every morning I assessed my health and repeated the chorus from the day before, "I can't believe I'm still sick! I never get sick like this." I'm sure my sister and mom got sick of hearing it (haha).

So, long story short, I was sick the entire time I was in Seattle. I returned a week later still sick and remain so now. Whatever this bug is, it apparently likes me a lot.

My mom and sister knew just how sick I was when I couldn't work on the book. I barely opened my computer - just enough to check my email for any new communication from my editor. I've lived and breathed writing and my book since signing the contract in September. But it all came to a stand-still.

I'm still not at 100% but I plan to open those edits and get to work tomorrow. We'll see how that goes. I figure that a few focused hours is a good goal for tomorrow. Hopefully by this time next week, I'll be able to report how great the editing is going. In the meantime, Good Earth tea is my best friend!

8 comments:

Lillie Ammann said...

Karen,

Hope you're completely recovered soon.

Karen Fisher-Alaniz said...

Thanks, Lillie! I actually feel almost human today. Yay!

Padkjg said...

There is the time of the photo friday where you can get the best deal for your life. You can make your life more good with this area. You can visit here and can maintain the real site in the better zone to get your life more good.

mikon said...

That is not just black hole but the web site which is helping the students to understand the other world and the level of negotiations.

mikon said...

When you are not in touch of your favorite work so you arelike no where and no body recognizes you so yo need to explore the details about the circumstances you are having and how can you overcome the problems you are facing.

Roubh said...

That is not just black hole but the web site which is helping the students to understand the other world and the level of negotiations.

Anonymous said...

Good blog post, Social and preservationist arranging shows us about the social lead, conflicts, aptitudes, affiliation quality to stand up to the issues and affect us to overhaul strategy for participation for survival. This get more info which is really good.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful blog post, If such people did not exist on the planet it infers that media outlets never advance. I regard the course by which you share this https://www.paraphrasetool.info/avoid-plagiarism/ It is exceptionally so not too awful.