Friday, January 21, 2011

Photo Friday: Just Hit Send!


Several years ago, when I first started freelance writing, a few fellow-writers and I started a group on the Absolute Write website. We didn't mean to, really. We just didn't dream that it would be so popular (and continues to this day). It was on the Freelance forum and here's how it came about;

I was commiserating with my writer pals about how annoyed I would get with myself over one aspect of submitting material to a magazine or website. After all the writing, editing and researching, when it came time to hit the "send" button, I hesitated. Sometimes, I'd put the piece aside for months instead of hitting that button. Other times, I would have to make myself hit the button. What was I afraid of? I'm not sure. But then we started a thread and invited people who had the same hesitations to join the "Just Hit Send" group.

What we learned was amazing. We learned we were not alone at all. So, each month, there is a new thread for freelancers to post that they have indeed hit send. It is also a place to post monthly goals. When I quit freelancing to write books, I really missed the camaraderie of the people there. We had come to know each other and our works quite well.

So, after months (years actually) of editing my book, I didn't have my freelance group behind me. I didn't have a place to admit how difficult this was or to celebrate in the joy of having "just hit send." Still, I did it. I hit the send button and you know what? The butterflies were still there! I even took a photo of the screen as I finally sent my completed (?) manuscript to my editor.

And now it's time for me to go back to my freelance friends to see if anyone wants to cyber-celebrate with me. Here I go and here's where I'll be; . ~KFA

No comments: