Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Blog Viewing Habits

Photo: taken by Karen Alaniz on Safari in Sri Lanka, 9/2010. Caption: make your point before the whole herd decides to move on.

I'm just curious. I wonder if anyone has these little subconscious rules about viewing a new blog. I've noticed recently that there is a criteria I have for blogs, especially when viewing one for the first time. They are as follows;

1. Name That Post: Like a good book, I like a good title and a good first two or three lines. Grab my attention--quick!
2. Photo-op: I like to see a photo on the page, preferably one taken by the blog author. And I want a little caption too. Relate it to what you wrote. Don't worry--you can strrrreeeetch if you need to. I just want the photo, OK? It makes the page interesting to me and gives my eyes a place to rest to ponder what you've written.
3. Personality: I like to see your blog personality. Are you funny? Serious? Introspective? Fun-loving? Theological? Illogical?
4. Leeeength: Unless you are incredibly funny and I really, really like you, keep it short. I don't want to scroll down more than once or twice. Really! I'm just there to visit, not move in with you.

I have lots more to say, but I'll save that for another time. I mean, you will be back, right? Right? Do you have any until now unspoken blog rules swirling around in your head? Do tell.

2 comments:

boomersurvive-thriveguide said...

A tip: Blogging frequently will increase your readership.

Rita blogging at The Survive and Thrive Boomer Guide

Karen L. Alaniz said...

Yep!