Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Adjusting Goals

Sometimes the goals I make for myself are a little on the crazy side. That's what happened here. When I got to the day to write for 7 hours, it was just too much. I was drained and unmotivated. And honestly, I do have other commitments that I can't just push aside. I am a daughter, a mother, a wife, a friend. Problem is, I'm one of those "all or nothing" people. I'll kill myself trying to make a goal I've set. And if I don't reach it, I bag the whole thing. I give up. For me, if the goal is to write 42 hours this week and I write only 30, I am a failure. I don't consider it progress even though it's still 20 more hours than I wrote last week. I know it makes no sense. In fact, it makes less and less sense as I write it here.

So, I'm trying to give myself a break and learn from this. My revamped goal for this week is;

Day 1 - 3 hours
Day 2 - 4 hours
Day 3 - 5 hours
Day 4 - 6 hours
Day 5 - 5 hours
Day 6 - 4 hours
Day 7 - 3 hours

Go Karen Go! Can anyone relate to my craziness? Anyone?

2 comments:

Clara Gillow Clark said...

I'm not so hard on myself when it comes to goals. I make goals and work hard to keep them, and normally I do. If I have a deadline, I'm always dead set on meeting it. But nearly every day something interrupts. What's happening may be the material for a new scene or a new character or even a new book. I don't want to miss having new and wonderful experiences--that feeds the writing.

Karen L. Alaniz said...

Good point. I try not to be hard on myself too, it's just that perfection gene that seems to have been passed on to me. LOL Thanks for visiting! ~Karen