Friday, March 7, 2008

Boxes in the Attic

I think we've all heard the stories and maybe even in our own family. Great Aunt Mildred (I don't know why I always use that name) passes away and as the family is cleaning out her home, they find a box, a chest or a pile of old "stuff." As they go through the correspondence, photos, and other momentos, they realize that Aunt Mildred had a story to tell. But she never told it, or she told it but there are details in the now-treasured box that are a surprise to those she left behind. Though that chest of special items is truly a treasure, how much more would it have been if she'd gone through it with you while she was alive. And what a shame that time has passed. Lets you and me vow not to let that happen in our families.

Below are some suggestions on how to encourage your loved one to share now;

1. Think History. In a town a few miles away, where my aunt was raised, there was a terrible flood. I believe it was in the 40's but I'm not sure. I do know that my aunt, even at her young age, knew it was a terribly important event. She saved newspaper clippings and took photographs. She still has a notebook full of them. Think about the history around your loved ones and ask questions based on it.

2. Think Events. Have you heard the story of your grandparents wedding? Have you heard the story of your parents wedding? Now, I'm not talking about just the wedding itself. I'm talking about the WHOLE story. For example, if I were to tell my story, and if I were questioned the right way, I might share some funny things I remember. My husband and I forgot to pick up our marriage license from the court house. And it didn't occur to us until a few hours before the wedding. By then the courthouse was closed, so we had to make phone calls and talk someone into meeting us there to open up the marriage records office for us. Another vivid memory for me was sitting on a stool with my dress fluffed around it, so as not to wrinkle my dress. I hadn't eaten all day, so one of my bridesmaids handed me a yogurt to eat as I sat on my "throne." Also think about births, birthdays, graduations, anniversaries, and even funerals and deaths.

3. Think Correspondence. We are such an instant nation. We email, text message, and use our cell phones without a second thought; it's a part of our culture. But it wasn't always that way. Ask your loved one about how mail was received when they were young, and ask if they saved any of the letters. Looking at the correspondence of yester-year is like peeking through the key hole to a time you only dreamed about. Letters and postcards not only tell the story of the sender and receiver, but also tell about that time in history.

After listening to the stories, after looking at photographs, and after reading letters and postcards, don't forget the cardinal rule; write it down. Don't assume you'll remember everything that Great Aunt Mabel said. And don't assume that you will be around forever to pass on the stories. Write down everything you remember now.

Write Now-Because it is later than you think. ~Karen

8 comments:

Phyllis Hunt McGowan said...

This is wonderful- anything that prompts people to write and share their history is a marvellous thing. You're right, we all have somebody like that. Nobody's life is boring, whatever they did with it there is always some amazing stories to be told about the things they did and the adventures they had. This post sums up how I feel about life- that nobody is dull. There's so much if you scratch the surface.

Linda Austin said...

Excellent article I intend to blog about, Karen.

Karen Fisher-Alaniz said...

Thanks you two. Of course, I agree but it's great to hear from someone else. We all have a story to tell. ~Karen

Anonymous said...

An attic is a great place for a storeroom we can store our wasted thing easily in the attic. In his blog, the author stores their boxes in the attic to know the simple method to store boxes visit their website . This blog is very helpful for students to store their wasted thing in the attic.

Unknown said...

Boxes in the attic is the place which is providing us all the best thing which we ever need for us. At the time when you find after click to read more box in that time you must store them. And must check what is inside the boxes.

Unknown said...

I just want to know from readers that what they understand after saw this blog. All the things which what does a good research paper look like and this blog they must tell here with leaving a answer of this blog. In this way i understand my mistakes and trying to remove them from the next time of my blog.

stoya riley said...

we want to save our beautiful memory of life in the diary of life when you will reach the stage of older then you feel happy to read this memory of life, the writer tells this type of story to create the attraction in the eyes of readers who want to read this type of story. I am also this type of reader who wants to read this. You can more explore the details of these stories.

guillermo said...

" I like the title of this site"" WRITE NOW ...because it's later than you think.""It means that when you feel that your mind produced a writing contents about any topic then you will become ready for writing and learn http://www.punctuationcheck.org/how-to-chose-a-good-sentence-punctuation-checker/, because after some time you can not remember the point and their beauty.
"