Monday, July 30, 2007

Conference Overview (chocolate included)

I'm baaaaaack! I missed you all. The Pacific Northwest Writer's Association Conference was fabulous. I'll spend the next few days writing about it. During the three-day conference, I went to ten sessions, one agent meeting, and one editor meeting. I enjoyed two keynote speakers and listened to an agent-panel and an editor panel. I talked informally with dozens of authors and author-wanna-be's.

My meals ranged from Chex Mix in my hotel room to formal dinners served on white linen. I had a food experience that was brand new to me; a chocolate fountain. Whoever thought this one up is just brilliant and ought to win the Nobel Peace Prize, in my humble opinion. I stood there staring at that fountain rubbing my eyes; was this a dream? Chocolate streams billowed over three tiers, as I stood in awe. I looked around for a Super-sized cup, but couldn't find one. So I had to settle for a couple of strawberries instead.

I spent about $100 on gas and found out that everyone has gas cheaper than my home town. I put over 600 miles on my car and got lost only once. I found out that Mapquest doesn't know it all. I learned that if you take a wrong turn, you just might end up at Seattle International Airport. I learned that if you use your middle name to make your reservations, they just might pretend you don't have reservations at all. I learned that a bell hop can become your very bestest friend. And I learned that you can indeed force yourself to be more confident, and by doing so, you become so.

And now I'm going to get some much-needed rest in my very own bed. Talk atcha tomorrow.

G-nite, Karen

3 comments:

Lillie Ammann said...

Karen,
Glad your conference was great.

I've named you a Rockin' Girl Blogger. Congratulations. You can read the post on my blog A Writer's Words, An Editor's Eye.

Karen L. Alaniz said...

Thanks Lillie!

-Karen

Jennifer said...

I'm glad you had a good time. And yes, Mapquest can be your worst enemy at times. And look at you rockin girl blogger -- too cool. Congrats.