Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Bloom wherever you end up






I moved into my new writing room, thanks to my son moving out. Don't worry, he's an adult. My writing room is on the second floor of our house. I wanted a few plants up there so I put things that don't need a lot of attention. My Easter cactus made the cut. I bid on it at a benefit for someone. It was in full bloom with china white blooms. That was three years ago. I was told it would bloom once a year and it did. Problem is...it bloomed with either two or three blooms. Yeah, that's barely worth looking at. I did all kinds of crazy things to try to make it bloom. I put it in the dark basement for a month. Then brought it up and watered it like crazy. Nothing! I moved it to a place where I wouldn't be tempted to over-water it. Nothing. I put it in direct sun, indirect sun, in the corner, on the table. Nothing! So I gave up and decided it was a nice green plant and that memory of it in full bloom was one I'd just have to be satisfied with.

But then...

I moved it to my writing room. There are five windows along the east side of the house. Low and behold just a few weeks later, I noticed the first of 56 buds. And yes...I counted them! There may even be more than that because they bloomed at different times. I think it's a sign, don't you? A sign of what? I'm not sure. Maybe just that when the time is right and all conditions are right, I will be published. Or maybe it's that all the work you put into something can suddenly and overnight, start to bloom. Whatever it is, the end product is absolutely beautiful.

2 comments:

Lillie Ammann said...

Karen,

I hope your beautiful Easter cactus is a sign of beautiful things to come in your writing career.

Karen L. Alaniz said...

I hope so too. Thanks, Lillie!