Monday, December 1, 2008

NaNoWriMo-The End...well, sort of

Well National Novel Writing Month ended at midnight. Once again it has been an adventure. I started off full-steam ahead with a novel I'd been thinking about for a while. Then, mid-stream something odd happened-something that doesn't happen to me!

I had a dream. My dream was so vivid and so interesting. It was one of those dreams that you feel compelled to tell people about, hoping they'll decifer it and give you some sage advice. But the people I told said the same thing, "You should write that into a book." I had been thinking the same thing, but I was half way through nano with another story. So after a few hours of soul-searching, I made a decision. I stopped writing my initial novel altogether and started on the new one. I took off like you can't believe, but it was really too late to make the 50,000 words by November 30th.

I know that the point of nano is to write a novel fast and furious in a months time. But what about those of us who don't make it? I mean, I wrote 18,000 between both novels. I've read a few people on writers forums say things like, "Well, maybe next year." What? I can't wait a whole year to write this thing. It's burning in me; it must be written and written now.

I'm hoping that Chris Baty would understand, but he's just a human being, who set an arbitrary date for completing the novel. Surely he'd be happy for me even if I didn't fit in his box. Would I have started this novel if I hadn't had the dream during nanowrimo? I'm not sure. What I am sure of is that I'll keep writing "until." Until I'm finished; until I'm satisfied it's the best it can be; until...get this...it's published! Hey, it could happen.

Isn't that what Write Now is all about? Yes it is. Time to get back to writing. May your writing days be long! ~Karen

7 comments:

Barbara Martin said...

Don't concern yourself with NaNoWriMo now that you have this burning desire to write a new story. Just write this divine story you received. It may very well end up surprising you with a magnificent story ending with publication.

Karen Fisher-Alaniz said...

Just what I needed to hear. Thanks Barbara!

Shuaib Ahmed said...

I really like the quote that life gives you an opportunity to celebrate everyday www.sentencecorrector.info/qualitative-english-sentence-corrector/. You are an amazing person because you are creating fun events for children. I really like these kind of events and become a member of such events. I really like your face paintings. good luck for upcoming events.

guillermo said...

Someone is talking about a dream. The dream was intense and so thought-provoking. In urgent help you can dig this. It was one of those dreams that you feel obliged to tell people about, hoping that they'll interpret it and give you some wise advice. But when the person talked about it with different people they said that you should write that into a book.

Velva Block said...

Preparing structure can't be continued running without the help of the educators. teachers take after assets in the field of preparing. Teachers ability to https://www.rewritingservice.net/our-rewrite-my-essay-generator-for-your-needs/ the understudy and consider the attributes of the understudy is basic. Instructors must have the ability to run the preparation structure.

Hildegard Flatley said...

Unquestionably, the main of each school, school and college ought to be well-meaning individual and should love read more the understudies. His endeavors to influence his establishments to can flabbergast numerous individuals later on when understudies of his foundation begin serving the world.

Stacy said...

Great blog yyou have