Thursday, February 28, 2008

Vacation From Writing

I'm back from Seattle. It was a very good time and the first time I've allowed myself to really take time off from writing. I see my writing as a new business. I've heard it said that when you open a new business, you should plan on not having a life for the first three years. You should work at it 24-hours a day, seven days a week. And I've tried to look at my writing career that way. I go to Seattle twice a year...sometimes more often. I always take work with me. I work on articles. I work on my book. I check my email and respond accordingly. But this time I didn't.

Before leaving, I had a crazy week. Entering a literary contest took every moment of my writing time. So I gave myself a break. I actually "took off" the whole four days. And it was lovely. I highly recommend it.

Now, all I need is the oomph to start up again! ~Karen

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad you had a good time and took off time from your writing to enjoy yourself. I think having a break is so important. I don't do a whole lot of writing on weekends. I will when we're not doing anything else, but I never put off anything else to write during weekends. I'm far more excited to get back to work on Mondays too ;)

Unknown said...

While I constantly encourage writers, both seasoned and novice, to take breaks from writing . . . I rarely follow this advice myself. A couple of months ago, I took a week off to vacation with my family and it seriously sent things spindling out of control. I didn't plan properly before and I didn't anticipate what would happen upon my return. Lesson learned!!! :-)

Karen Fisher-Alaniz said...

April- sounds like good rules to live by.

Jenn- I know what you mean. Everyone talks about balance, but this is such a strange business. Sometimes balance is elusive.

Thanks for the comments. ~Karen

Anonymous said...

Definitely when some body go to staple shops then they center around various things. Consequently unique musings arive in their psyches that what is this item? which sort of item it is? how the maker check it? which things that are utilized by the maker to set up this beverage and all more. I additionally thought on these things.

Anonymous said...

The perusing of this blog would instruct us to oversee sum. This blog is additionally useful for the composing and undertakings. With the goal that we can look here and say this is a best blog for some perusers. we should peruse and share this blog as much as we can do.

Anonymous said...

This is one is incredible exceedingly educational blog identify with residual farewell. The site contains great wellspring of composing and articles on better places. I like this blog since I see here now and get much data from this blog. I discover this blog after a diligent work. This blog give data identify with various developments and individuals like this blog.