Thursday, February 28, 2008

Vacation From Writing

I'm back from Seattle. It was a very good time and the first time I've allowed myself to really take time off from writing. I see my writing as a new business. I've heard it said that when you open a new business, you should plan on not having a life for the first three years. You should work at it 24-hours a day, seven days a week. And I've tried to look at my writing career that way. I go to Seattle twice a year...sometimes more often. I always take work with me. I work on articles. I work on my book. I check my email and respond accordingly. But this time I didn't.

Before leaving, I had a crazy week. Entering a literary contest took every moment of my writing time. So I gave myself a break. I actually "took off" the whole four days. And it was lovely. I highly recommend it.

Now, all I need is the oomph to start up again! ~Karen

3 comments:

April said...

I am glad you had a good time and took off time from your writing to enjoy yourself. I think having a break is so important. I don't do a whole lot of writing on weekends. I will when we're not doing anything else, but I never put off anything else to write during weekends. I'm far more excited to get back to work on Mondays too ;)

Jenn Hollowell said...

While I constantly encourage writers, both seasoned and novice, to take breaks from writing . . . I rarely follow this advice myself. A couple of months ago, I took a week off to vacation with my family and it seriously sent things spindling out of control. I didn't plan properly before and I didn't anticipate what would happen upon my return. Lesson learned!!! :-)

Karen L. Alaniz said...

April- sounds like good rules to live by.

Jenn- I know what you mean. Everyone talks about balance, but this is such a strange business. Sometimes balance is elusive.

Thanks for the comments. ~Karen