Friday, January 11, 2008

"My" Book

This was fun. My sister and I looked in Barnes and Noble for the book, "Chicken Soup for the Nurses Soul-Second Shift." My story, "A Dose of Compassion" is in the book and although I already had a copy of the book, I wanted to see it in an actual book store. So my sister found a sales clerk to help her find it, and of course, bragged me up on the way. Then when the clerk left, she took a photo of me. That's the book in the background too. We had to be very sneaky about taking a photo-we didn't want to get arrested.

You see, about a year ago I thought it'd be fun to take a photo of each of the bookstores I visited on vacation. It would make a fun scrapbook page. I had taken about five shots of the length of the shelves (very cool look) when a sales clerk ran down the escalator and scolded me, very loudly for "copyright infringement." It was a tad embarassing. I tried to explain but she would have none of it. In fact, I'm lucky I left with my life. I'm lucky she didn't rip the camera from me, arms and all. Sheesh! So what can I do with this information? Well, my plan is to tell this story over and over when I'm on my book tour...someday. Until then, I'll tell it here. ~Karen

5 comments:

Jenn Hollowell said...

Tag! You're it! (check my blog for more details!)

Karen L. Alaniz said...

Sorry...this is a tag-free zone.

Linda Austin said...

Whoa, I did not know bookstores were so scared of photos. I just put a booksigning photo on my website - hope I don't get sued!

Karen L. Alaniz said...

Um Linda...I think I'm going to have to report you. Ha! ~Karen

Eileen said...

Karen, NICE PHOTO! You've got dimples too! I'm wondering about that copyright infringement. Hmmm....I'm skeptical about how that could be copyright infringment... E