Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Crown of Disappointment

I got a check in the mail the other day. It was for an article I wrote and that check alone was enough to meet my modest financial goal for January. My 2008 financial goals for my freelance writing business are cumulative. In other words, I set a specific amount for January and after that, my goal is to make a bit more each month. So I'm off to a great start.

My mind wandered to what I should buy with my little chunk of change;
  • a bouquet of flowers?
  • take my family out to dinner?
  • order pizza?
  • treat my husband to a movie?
  • put the money in savings?
  • travel to...OK it wouldn't get me very far
  • a new pair of shoes?
  • books/magazines?
  • a crown?

Huh? A crown? Well yeah, and it's not the kind that will sit atop my royal head. I went to the dentist yesterday and it seems the decision on how to spend my money wasn't so difficult after all. My broken tooth needs a crown. So it looks like my hard earned money will be gobbled up by...my tooth. Boo! It just feels so...wrong! Why is it that when I got a regular paycheck as a teacher, I didn't think this way, but now I feel that any money I make writing should be spent on something...beautiful, something celebratory, something romantic?

Maybe it's that now there's such a one-to-one correspondence with the money I make. I know exactly what I did to earn that money. I know how many hours I spent writing the article. I know the struggles with finding markets, and working with editors. Oh, I don't know. What I do know is that my little chunk of change just shrunk. It'll only pay for 1/4 of my crown. The good news is that at least I won't have to waste time dreaming of what I'll spend my next chunk on...it's already been decided for me. ~Karen

2 comments:

Eileen said...

Hey Karen, I agree - Boo - on it going for a crown for the tooth...versus, what, a crown for the head. But Congratulations on the $$$! Keep up the good work! E

Karen L. Alaniz said...

Thanks Eileen-I've missed you around here. It just hasn't been the same without you. ~Karen