Monday, September 3, 2007

Words to Walk on



We've been working on putting in a new patio for a few weeks now...well, my husband would say months, since the prep work started much earlier. So the new patio is in, made completely from recycled materials by the way. So now I need some help. I want some words out on my patio. So yesterday I decided to paint some on one of the six pavers. I chose Leo Tolstoy's words, "True Life is lived when tiny changes occur." And I love, love, love it!

My idea is to use quotes from the famous, and perhaps not so famous. So comment with your favorite quotes, whether from an 18th century poet, or your great aunt Hilda. I was thinking that I would try to use things that can relfect the outdoors, creating something new (ie the patio) or something about gardens, day, or nature. But I'm really open to anything, so long as it makes sense even to the littlest feet that cross my path.

So help me out here, couldja?

By the way, the link for Kiva, there on the side (and no, I don't know why it is cut off)? Its something I heard about this morning on the news. Go ahead -click on it. It's a fabulous opportunity for you and I and a third world entrepreneur whose dreams are no less compelling than our own.

Write On!

-Karen

14 comments:

Susan Breen said...

That's such a great idea. I can't think of any great quotes at the moment, but I'll try.

Anonymous said...

Lovely idea! I don't think any of my favorite quotes would be suitable for your project, but I'll throw a few out there, anyway:

"Awed by her splendor, stars near the lovely moon cover their own bright faces when she is roundest and lights the earth with her silver."--Sappho

"In matters of conscience, laws of the majority have no place."--Mahatma Gandhi

"In you whom art also an angel, lives an insect, creating turmoil within your blood."--Can't for the life of me remember who said that.

The last one, in particular, might be a really bad idea...

The Quoibler said...

"There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (I, v, 166-167)

(Thanks to enotes.com for quickly getting me to the correct Act and scene!)

Have fun with your project!

Angelique

Karen Fisher-Alaniz said...

Thanks Susan!

Sam- I love the quotes, especially the one by Sappho, and had actually thought of using a quote by Gandhi. Hmmmm...

I like that a lot quoibler! I might leave off the Horatio part...or maybe not. I love the idea though.

Thanks all!

Karen

Thursday said...

"Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man." -- Zhuangzi
(one of my favorite quotes!)

Margie said...

What a great idea! I think this would be a cool quote to use if you do this on or near stairs. "When you reach the top, keep climbing" -- Zen proverb.

Anonymous said...

YEAH! I CAN COMMENT! Hehe, okay...

Can't really think of any quotes at the moment (besides a REALLY funny one from Las Vegas (nbc) but that's not really what you're looking for...)

Have you tried Wisdom Quotes? I go there sometimes, just type "wisdom quotes" into google and the site should be there.

Anonymous said...

in my opera you'll find music for every kind of listener, except for those with the long ears.

--mozart

Karen Fisher-Alaniz said...

Jen and Moonslice- You made it...Yahoo! I did change my account so that I can accept annonymous comments. If it becomes a problem though, I'll have to figure out a plan-B.

Moonslice- when I read that I thought you were saying that you were in the opera. I was really impressed for a moment. Then I realized that I'd asked for and gotten a quote. Oh brother.

Jen-I'll check it out. I love quotes!

-Karen

Hildegard Flatley said...

Writing is very important in the life of a successful man if you are willing to become successful person in the world. Try to go this site for info then you must subscribe this site because this site is giving you the best platform to polish your skills.

Hildegard Flatley said...

Write Now is the best platform for you to put your all thinking in the words. Visit http://www.copychecker.net/website-duplicate-content-checker/ for ideas as this blog teaches you that how you can write your thoughts that may be beneficial for the others. You can write your emotions with the help of this blog because this blog teaches to write.

Hildegard Flatley said...

This is the best ideas about the entrepreneur opportunities. Try to go here for more info this blog has explained this thing very well that how you can have the best ways to deliver this thing for the rest of your life.

anonymous said...

In case made and instructed nations strengthen those countries. Usage of an online tool would be good. Where people are defying astoundingly credible conditions.

anonymous said...

The readiness will be extremely specific and steady. You can ask to check my sentence to remove my mistakes. Electronic getting ready is helping superfluously in educational field.