Friday, July 20, 2007

Success-The Parable of the Silver coins- Part 2

I just found out that an article I wrote will be published in Bleech, a national magazine for teens. I am so excited about it, you can't even imagine. But this silver coin was not simply handed to me. I definitely had to pull up my skirt and run for it. Well, I don't usually wear skirts, but you know what I mean.

It began with a query challenge at Absolute Write to try sending a query to a magazine. I took the challenge even though I didn't know how to write a query or how to write an article. I decided to write about something that I feel strongly about. But first I needed to know how to write a query, so I researched and asked lots of questions. Then searched for a place to send my brand-new, first-ever query.

Silver Coin Handed to Me...
Much to my surprise and dismay, I got an enthusiastic go-ahead just a few hours later. So I set a new goal of figuring out how to write an article. Nothing like being forced to learn something. I think it was self-imposed torture, but torture I rather enjoyed.

Tossed in the Air...
I sent the article in and it was ultimately rejected. I was, of course disappointed. But I knew it was an excellent article; I just needed to find a home for it.

It Rolled Down the Street...
I looked online, scouring teen magazine guidelines- to no avail.

It rolled and it rolled...
Then one day I made a decision. I hopped in my car and went to Hastings bookstore. I was surprised to find so many teen magazines in stock. I looked through them and settled on one that I particularly liked, Bleech.

And it rolled...
At home I got online and found that there weren't any guidelines. So I emailed the editor. She wrote back offering to send me a few copies of the magazine.

Finally My Silver Coin Stopped...
In the meantime, I sent her a query for my article and she responded with enthusiasm. So after studying copies of the magazine, I revised my article a bit and sent it off.

I Bent Down and Scooped it up...The first three words that came back from the editor were, "I love it." I'd found a home for my treasured article.

And My Coin was Even Shinier Than When it All Began
Perhaps it's a good thing that I didn't get my silver coins handed to me on a silver platter. There was such a lesson in it for me. This freelancing business isn't easy. In fact, it's quite a roller coaster at times. But when you want something bad enough, it's just a matter of a little time and
lot of perseverence before your dreams come true!

-Karen

3 comments:

Nita said...

Loved part 2 as much as part 1. Congratulations on finding a home for your article and digging that coin out. May there be many more 'writing coins' in your future, and there should be, your a good writer.

Karen L. Alaniz said...

Thank you Nita. You don't even know how much your words mean to me!

-Karen

Blogger said...

Buy A .925 Silver Chain Online.