Monday, July 2, 2007

The Inspiration Table

I love words, don't you? I love inspirational words and quotes from famous and not so famous people. Several years ago I bought a wood coffee table at a second-hand store. It was bare wood. It looked as if someone had made it by hand, though only if you looked closely. What I loved most about the table was that it cost only $12.50. I figured at that great price, I could feel free to "mess it up" all I wanted and all I would have lost is a little more than a ten dollar bill. Well that table has seen several coats of paint now. My favorite was when I painted the legs light green and the top light purple; then I collected quotes and wrote them in paint-marker on the sides of it. I had inspirational quotes about life and love. I can't tell you how many people remarked on how great it was as they read the quotes all around it. I loved it too...but alas, I got tired of it. I painted over it with a new color and technique. I think I'm ready to give it another coat of paint and covering of insprational words. I think I'll start with this one;

"We are traditionally rather proud of ourselves for having slipped creative work in there between the domestic chores and obligations. I'm not sure we deserve such big A-pluses for that."

-Toni Morrison

So I've decided to begin collecting a new batch of quotes. If you have one to share, let me know.

Karen (Lavinia)

2 comments:

Jim Melvin said...

My favorite funny one is by Steven Wright: "It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it."

Here's a good serious one, though probably way too long for your table: "There is really nothing you must be and there is nothing you must do. There is really nothing you must have and there is nothing you must know. There is really nothing you must become. However, it helps to understand that fire burns, and when it rains, the earth gets wet." -- Zen saying.

Karen Fisher-Alaniz said...

I like that Jim...The first one would fit for sure. Maybe I could paint the second one on the front of my house...or maybe not.

Karen